[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1288 - 02/15/05

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Feb 16 16:26:44 CET 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 04:19, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2005, at 01:00, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> Problems are more likely to be fixed if you file a bug at
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61487&atid=497423 and
>> provide a sample .bib and exact steps to reproduce the problem
>
> Given that the problem involves data loss, it is appropriate to
> inform this list.

Informing the list is fine; I wanted the specific circumstances under
which data loss occurs to be clear, though.

> To reproduce the problem, open the attached .bib file. BibDesk
> correctly points out the invalid character in despeyroux-proof, but
> it does not mention the undefined string in abadi-conjoining. Fix the
> first error and click on Reopen, and it opens without further
> complaint. Save, and you find that the line journal=toplas is gone.
>
> Past versions of BibDesk reported undefined strings as errors. The
> lack of complaint I took to mean that such string references would
> now be left untouched.

Which BibTeX parser are you using (in the Files preferences)?  I'll
take a look at your file as soon as I get a chance and follow up with
you directly if necessary.

> The invalid characters, incidentally, came from another .bib file
> manager, Auc-TeX I think, which thought it was "clever" to replace
> the TeX accents by accented characters in some encoding.

BibDesk can do this too, but it's clever enough to go the other way as
well :).

> Thanks for helping, and I do think BibDesk has the potential to be
> great.

Thanks for the detailed report!

regards,
Adam