[OS X TeX] Spaces in file or folder names

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 10 13:09:23 CET 2005

On 10 feb 2005, at 12:11, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Sure, I much prefer the output I get from LaTeX to what I get with
> Word, but I find it very frustrating that file names (and worse,
> folder names) do not work. File names I can live with even if I don't
> like it. But I would like to include graphics while leaving them in
> the folders where the analyses are done, and it simply is too
> difficult to always avoid using spaces in a whole hierarchy of
> folders. As a result, I'm forced to save copies of my figures in one
> folder inside where each LaTeX document sits.

Just avoid spaces in names that you have to pass to LaTeX. You'll be
much happier. Trust me on this.

> Is there a better way? If not, can we hope to see LaTeX evolve in that
> direction?

Unlikely, although CMacTeX had a solution IIRC. I haven't quite
followed the latest development, but I believe the latest binaries
still allow spaces in paths (they are replaced internally with
non-breaking spaces (just another ascii number) and changes it back
when accessing the file system. You might want to investigate those
tools.

> By the way, I tried only putting aliases in the Figures folder inside
> the folder of a LaTeX document, but that did not work. I know
> "symbolic links" have slightly different properties than aliases, but
> I never explored that. Would they be a solution?

Yes.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>