[OS X TeX] TeX Performance (MacMini)

Steffen Wolfrum osxtex at st.estfiles.de
Mon Feb 7 12:51:56 CET 2005

>Interesting thread. Couple of things to note.
>In fact, one advice for those wanting to use the Mac Mini as a
>TeX-machine is to use an external drive. True, it makes the set up
>bigger and might be a fairly big investment. But it also has several
>advantages including being able to swap the drive between different
>machines, easier backups, and having more drive space. Plus it
>requires no tinkering to install...

>Alex

Hm, does it really make sense to have a fast external drive for the
MacMini - regarding its Firewire 400(!) ?

Wouldn't it be much more efficient to have this 7200RPM Hitachi
Travelstar 7k60 inside the Mini? Or is this drive really that loud
(as it was written sometimes) that I would spoil my silent Mini with
this?

Yes, silence matters! But speed too o(

Steffen
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>