[OS X TeX] Strange Behavior With Lucida Font

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 7 11:05:32 CET 2005

Am 07.02.2005 um 04:14 schrieb Brian Powell:

> Any suggestions or ideas as to why the entire document renders
> perfectly except for "ff"?

You're probably using the Lucida fonts from Java. One of them is
definitely faulty! To see it yourself I recommend to open Textedit and
the Character Palette. Choose in Textedit repeatedly the Lucida Sans
variants and pick off Character Palette the ligatures (you'll find them
at U+FB00). (It might work too to copy the correct line from LucidaSans
Regular and change it to the other variants.)

What you'll see is:

-ff-fi-fl-ffi-ffl-  in LucidaSans Regular
-fi-fl-ffi-ffl--    in LucidaSans Oblique
-ff-fi-fl-ffi-ffl-  in LucidaSans DemiBold
--fi-fl---          in LucidaSans DemiBold Oblique

Some glyphs are missing -- something normal. But for the faulty
LucidaSans Oblique ff has gone with some wind and the stack of glyphs
slid down filling the gap! So you get fi instead of ff, fl instead of
fi, ffi instead of fl, ffl instead of ffi, and nothing instead of ffl.

In TeX you can see this too running 'latex nfssfont' giving the font's
name (hlsr8t) and choosing \table\bye ...

You can cure this with fontinst. This weekend I corrected my
installation script (making TrueType fonts available in TeX as
PostScript fonts) to repair this mistake.

--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>