[OS X TeX] What kind of operation is TeXing? (concerning hardware)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 6 11:36:42 CET 2005

On 5 feb 2005, at 15:34, Herb Schulz wrote:

> You've got to compile from the Command Line and redirect the output
> from
> pdflatex to /dev/null, the bit bucket.
>
> time pdflatex source2e >/dev/nul
>
> is the full command line command. The screen output takes quite a bit
> of
> time. On my 550MHz Powerbook it took 38s... Sigh...

remember that a full compile is requested:

pdflatex source2e
makeindex -s gglo.ist -o source2e.gls source2e.glo
makeindex -s source2e.ist source2e.idx
pdflatex source2e
time pdflatex source2e.tex > /dev/null

(only the last run is needed, at least that is how I read the page)

1.25 GHz PowerBook G4: 17.220s (user)

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>