[OS X TeX] BibTeX buffer size exceeded

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Fri Feb 4 18:26:07 CET 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 16:06, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 4 feb 2005, at 15:53, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> I believe that a previous thread suggested changing the file to UNIX
>> line feeds. I believe that I have done that. How to check?
>
> I would guess that JabRef doesn't know a thing about Mac line-breaks,
> so I'd be surprised if they ever got in there... Simple advice:
> download TextWrangler, and check in the user interface there.
>
>> Any further advice?
>
> "line 21247" is in the field that is actually too long. Have a look
> what it is (with a text editor). If it is an abstract field, or really
> anything but a name field, you can use the technique described here:
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bibstrtl (stick to the
> second method, don't bother about the first).
>
> There are no messages about possibly missing {} pairs, leading to an
> abstract that includes the next entry? Try to balance the braces well
> before the point of failure (using for example TextWrangler), that
> should tell you if that is the problem.
>
> If the problem is within the authors (or editors) field, you have a
> problem. The only option at the moment is to cut the list and end it
> with "and others".

I had the same problem last week (search the digest), and the reason
was just along the lines that Marten described. In my case, Endnote had
produced a .bib file with

- unbalanced brackets
- missing commas (,)
- whitespace (return) before the label which bibtex did not like (which
still makes me wonder)

Make sure that the file JabRef produced really looks like

@typeofreference{label
key = {value},
key = {value},
lastkey = {lastvalue}