[OS X TeX] Long Division redux

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 30 02:37:37 CET 2005

On Dec 29, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Thomas Rike wrote:

> I am using TeXShop and LaTeX downloaded from GW  with i-installer
> (not the latest) on a Mac G4 Tiger 10.4. I think everything is in /
> usr/local/teTeX.  From CTAN  I have polynom.ins and polynom.dtx
> where do I put them to create a polynom.sty  file. I don't know
> Unix paths so I just typed tex and dropped  polynom.ins into the
> command line to get the path. I get  TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C
> 7.5.5) But the terminal says Generating file(s) polynom.sty !
> Cannot find file polynom.dtx.
> (It was on the desktop along with polynom.ins.  I tried putting the
> files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex with the same
> result. Also where do I put polynom.sty after it is created, or
> will it automatically be where it belongs? This is my first post,
> so if I am not following protocol please let me know. Thanks

Howdy,

Open the .dtx file (in TeXShop, e.g.) and simply run latex (or
pdflatex) on it. That will produce the .sty file(s) and any other
configuration files.

For personal use place the .sty and associated files in a directory
inside ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/. That's it.

For use by anyone that can log onto your computer place it in a
directory inside /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/ and run

sudo texhash

in Terminal.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)