[OS X TeX] Long Division redux

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 01:14:46 CET 2005

I am using TeXShop and LaTeX downloaded from GW  with i-installer(not
the latest) on a Mac G4 Tiger 10.4. I think everything is in /usr/
local/teTeX.  From CTAN  I have polynom.ins and polynom.dtx  where do
I put them to create a polynom.sty  file. I don't know Unix paths so
I just typed tex and dropped  polynom.ins into the command line to
get the path. I get  TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5) But the
terminal says Generating file(s) polynom.sty ! Cannot find file
polynom.dtx.
(It was on the desktop along with polynom.ins.  I tried putting the
files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex with the same
result. Also where do I put polynom.sty after it is created, or will
it automatically be where it belongs? This is my first post, so if I
am not following protocol please let me know. Thanks