[OS X TeX] the color of color

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 03:52:37 CET 2005

Robert Spence wrote:

> I think the problem is (probably) that with "green" you're getting
> the standard green that's predefined in David Carlisle's color.sty as
>   \definecolor{green}{rgb}{0,1,0}
> i.e. it's what you get even if you have an optionless
> \usepackage{color}
> in the preamble and then just write
> \textcolor{green}{this is green}
> in the body of the document without specifying a colour model option
> in the \textcolor command (or the \colorbox command, or whatever).
>
> You can always get black, white, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta and
> yellow that way,

That's what I was wondering about

> regardless of what colour model you're using, as all  those names are
> predefined, so in fact you only need to add [named]  to the \colorbox
> command if you want to get one of the 68 extra  colours available that
> way, like JungleGreen, or Green, or ...

That's what you taught me. By the way, I made a  sample  palette of all
68 colors.  It is no big deal but should anyone be interested I can
email it.

> You can use
> \colorbox[named]{Orange}{this is the Orange I want}
> and
> \colorbox{green}{this is the nice green I'm used to}
> in the same document.

Yes, I found that out

> There's a good description in section 3 of the document called
> grfguide.pdf (Packages in the graphics bundle, by D.P. Carlisle).

I will look it up tomorrow.

> You can also define any colours you want, at any point in your
> document, using the
> command.

Something like that was in the Petersen doc. But I am not really into
that sort of things

> D.P. Story (Akron, Ohio) suggests the following green for
> highlighting text on the web:
> \definecolor{webgreen}{rgb}{0,.6,0}
> i.e. a darker shade, to show up better against a white background,
> whereas what you need is a precisely the opposite, namely a lighter
> green background
> ( {0,1,0} in TeX's decimal notation for the rgb model) that black
> text will stand out better against.

I will definetely try that

> If you're used to thinking in terms of the "safe" colours for web
> browsers as defined in hexadecimal notation the way they are in HTML,
> you can create a file called something like colordef.tex to contain
> (some subset of) definitions like
>
> \definecolor{rgb000000}{rgb}{0,0,0}
> \definecolor{rgb000033}{rgb}{0,0,.2}
> \definecolor{rgb000066}{rgb}{0,0,.4}
> \definecolor{rgb000099}{rgb}{0,0,.6}
> \definecolor{rgb0000cc}{rgb}{0,0,.8}
> \definecolor{rgb0000ff}{rgb}{0,0,1}
> \definecolor{rgbffff00}{rgb}{1,1,0}
> \definecolor{rgbffff33}{rgb}{1,1,.2}
> \definecolor{rgbffff66}{rgb}{1,1,.4}
> \definecolor{rgbffff99}{rgb}{1,1,.6}
> \definecolor{rgbffffcc}{rgb}{1,1,.8}
> \definecolor{rgbffffff}{rgb}{1,1,1}
>
> --- where the size of the subset will depend on how worried you are
> about running out of TeX memory ;-)

Er

Very grateful regards.
--schremmer