[OS X TeX] i-Installer's mpost broken or am I too stupid?

Martin Buchmann Martin.Buchmann at uni-jena.de
Fri Dec 23 12:35:47 CET 2005

Hi all,

i wanted to redraw a metapost file which used to worked perfect, but
today mpost just refuses to work. As soon as i want some want to include
some LaTeX material i just get the following output

This is MetaPost, Version 0.901 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(minimal.mpnewer: target file `minimal.mpx' doesn't exist.
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/makempx: Command
failed: latex mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.log

 >> minimal.mp
 >> minimal.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.11 label(btex
                 test etex, (0,0));
Transcript written on minimal.log.

minimal.log contains the following:

<---- minimal.log ---->
This is MetaPost, Version 0.901 (Web2C 7.5.5) (mem=mpost 2005.12.7)  23
DEC 2005 12:26
**minimal.mp
(minimal.mp
 >> minimal.mp
 >> minimal.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.11 label(btex
                 test etex, (0,0));
The two files given above are one of your source files
and an auxiliary file I need to read to find out what your
btex..etex blocks mean. If you don't know why I had trouble,
try running it manually through MPto -tex, TeX, and DVItoMP.
<----------------------->

mpxerr.log ends with the following lines
<---- mpxerr.log ---->
! I can't find file `mpx7143.aux'.
\enddocument ...makeatletter \input \jobname .aux
                                                   \fi \@dofilelist
\ifdim \f...
l.17 \end{document}

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
\enddocument ...makeatletter \input \jobname .aux
                                                   \fi \@dofilelist
\ifdim \f...
l.17 \end{document}

*** (job aborted, file error in nonstop mode)
<----------------------->

This is my minimal example:

<---- minimal.mp ---->
prologues := 2;

verbatimtex
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
etex;

beginfig(1)

label(btex test etex, (0,0));

endfig;
end

I have really no idea what's wrong here. I've set the environment
variable TEX to latex and in the past i never had problems like these
:-( I'm using tex.ii2 package from 2005/12/06 which should be the most
recent one.

Best regards
   Martin

--
Democracy is also a form of worship.  It is the worship of Jackals by
Jackasses.