[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 15:46:56 CET 2005

Le 20 déc. 05 à 15:19, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> I am not using Latin Modern (i.e. I don't think I am - my preamble
> does not contain anything unusual). I don't think the problem is
> illustrator because when I typeset a file that imports (via
> \includegraphics) an old pdf graphic (it was edited in CS2 to
> include latex fonts) I now get substituted fonts. The exact same
> files (latex source + pdf graphic) used to produce a latex output
> with no font substitutions. So I think it's something in the tex
> installation...

Can you look at the fonts included in the two versions of your PDF
file (the one yielding no problem in Illustrator, and the one
yielding problems), and see whether they differ?

You can use Adobe Reader or Acrobat for this (go to File > Document
Properties, and select the Fonts tab), or probably better pdffonts
(mentioned yesterday by Peter Dyballa in the thread "[OS X TeX] Font
problem"), to be operated from the command line and which will yield
ASCII output such as:

$ pdffonts abstract-efmc6v2.pdf
Error: No paper information available - using defaults
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
ARYZOH+HoeflerText-Black             TrueType     yes yes no       8  0
PYZJFI+HoeflerText-Regular           TrueType     yes yes no      11  0
LVKPML+LucidaNewMath-Symbol          Type 1       yes yes no      14  0
TQXQRL+HoeflerText-Italic            TrueType     yes yes no      17  0
GUJETN+LucidaNewMath-AltItalic       Type 1       yes yes no      20  0
IAQHIA+LucidaBright                  Type 1       yes yes no      23  0
GJOLEN+HoeflerText-Regular           Type 1C      yes yes yes     28  0
FGNTZQ+HoeflerText-Regular           Type 1C      yes yes yes     37  0
IFGLTF+HoeflerText-Italic            Type 1C      yes yes no      38  0
IPCHFM+Symbol                        Type 1C      yes yes no      39  0

(this comes from a LaTeX file using Lucida and Hoefler thanks to
gtamacfonts, and including a graphics -- prepared with Mathematica
then Illustrator -- containing Hoefler and Symbol).

pdffonts is a tool coming with the xpdf PDF viewer <http://
ftp.foolabs.com/xpdf/>. I installed xpdf through DarwinPorts, and it
can also be obtained through Fink. Apparently, however, the non X-
windows tools associated with xpdf (not xpdf itself) are already
available as precompiled binaries from <http://users.phg-online.de/tk/
MOSXS/>.

Hope this helps,