[OS X TeX] Euro-Symbols are subsituted by question marks

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 18 23:47:45 CET 2005

Am 18.12.2005 um 16:40 schrieb Piet van Oostrum:

> Probably an encoding confusion. TeXshop may think your file is in a
> different encoding than is really the case.

Yesterday I recommended to a German user to use latin9 input encoding,
but this is *not* supported in any TeXShop that runs on Panther. I made
a little test with a file that had no header for TeXShop. In its
preferences I have ISO Latin-1 set. With my German keyboard I can input
€ with Alt-e. It's visible at once in TeXShop. It's still visible after
saving the new contents. Pdftex'ing this file I get ? instead of €.
When I open that TeX file in TeXShop I see the reason: € has become ?.
When I input an € into the TeX file with GNU Emacs and open that file
in TeXShop I see ¤ instead of € -- well, it's the correct
representation of that code point in ISO Latin-1.

TeXShop does need an ISO Latin-9 encoding. We have the € since five
years (and it's more worth than the US $). The encoding is even older.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
	A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.