[OS X TeX] path name

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 18 01:13:59 CET 2005

Am 17.12.2005 um 23:12 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> How can one modify this commands to achieve the ability to recognize
> automatically the encoding of the operating file system and the
> encoding used by TeX to convert the file name and path name by this
> script with no changes in it necessary?

By writing very clever programmes, with a database onboard ...

TeX could learn to accept three bytes that build an UTF-8 code as first
'character' of a TeX file, kind of comment, a super-%. This mark would
make the file recognised as UTF-8 (I think there are other marks for
UTF-7, UTF-16, UTF-15?, least or most significant bit or byte first).
If TeX would accept this mark and switch automatically into the
corresponding input encoding mode ...

There are environment variables, LC_All, LC_LANG, LC_CTYPE. These could
describe the properties. Create another one that names the output
file's format ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.”
    - D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9