[OS X TeX] What does the j stand for?

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:18:35 CET 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:38:42 +0100, Herbert Schulz
<herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Georg Verweyen wrote:
>
>> Herbert Schulz schrieb:
>>
>>> what is the j for? I know  r=roman, i=italic, etc.
>>
>> As far as I know it marks the old style figure variants of the fonts.
>> It is added  after the shape.
>>
>> Regards, Georg
>
> Howdy,
>
> Thanks for the information. I finally found fontnames.dvi so I have the
> whole list now. I assume that since the oldstyle numbers is incomplete
> (i.e., not all font shapes and weights have them) in Lucida Bright those
> aren't directly used at this time.

 From lucida.txt:

* The regular, italic and demibold cuts of the font family hlh (Lucida
Bright) come with oldstyle figures that can be used through
textcomp.sty and the command \oldstylenums.  This requires, however,
the following additional command, which must be issued _after_ loading
of the textcomp package:

   \DeclareEncodingSubset{TS1}{hlh}{1}

Rationale:  By default, the textcomp package disables the use of
oldstyle numbers in the family hlh, because they are not available
with _all_ fonts of the family.

* The font family hlhj has oldstyle figures in the T1 character set,
i.e. OsF constitutes the default here.

--
Morten