[OS X TeX] bibtex cannot find my files

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Dec 14 22:07:53 CET 2005

Am 14.12.2005 um 16:12 schrieb Christian Jost:

> My questions are therefore
> a) where should I put personal .bst and .bib files for bibtex to find
> them?
> b) is there a command or configuration file that will tell me where
> bibtex is looking for these files?

I think your question should be: Which bibtex am I using?

Depending on that version you have these configuration files:

	1) when 'which bibtex' in some shell tells you "/sw/bin/bibtex," then
/sw/texmf.cnf is the right file, but it does not contain a setting for
bibTeX (in that case you could try in shell «strings `which bibtex` |
egrep -i 'bib|bst'» -- and then try to understand the output and put
one or two rules into /sw/texmf.cnf à la those in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf)

	2) when 'which bibtex' in some shell tells you
"/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/bibtex," then
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf contains a hint to put
personal BIB and BST files into the trees ~/Library/texmf/bibtex,
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib, or ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst.

It was found, if memory still serves me well, that bibtex does not
always follow these rules. The last resort is always to put these files
or sym-links to the them in the same directory as the TeX or LaTeX
source ... (because it still hasn't grown to version 1.x?)

3) A shorter path to success could be simply: kpsepath bib

Again: you should be very careful when using two different TeX systems
or installations. You can use them only as good as you can ride on two
bikes (or horses or cars).

--
Greetings

   Pete

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.
	-- Bradford Angier