[OS X TeX] xpdf i-Package?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Dec 14 15:08:28 CET 2005

Le 14 déc. 05 à 13:07, Martin Henning a écrit :

> btw, use fink instead of darwinports - they also have binaries so
> you don't have to compile everything...

Thanks for the pointer to Fink.

I have been hearing about Fink for a long time. However, I must admit
that once I read it places its binaries from /sw/bin before the
System ones from /bin in the default path, I did not consider it any
further. I have a number of colleagues who do some programming, use
Fink happily and swear by it. But given I do no programming -- yet --
my point of view is different: have an OS X-centric computer world,
and only complement OS X in the areas where it doesn't already
provide a solution; and never, ever, override it.

That said, providing binary packages seems to be on the radar for
future DarwinPorts releases <http://wiki.opendarwin.org/index.php/
DarwinPorts:Version1.3>. There used to be binary packages on the
WebDAV server <http://packages.opendarwin.org>, but they seem to be
gone. And there is a GUI package manager as well, similar -- I think
-- to FinkCommander but still in beta <http://www.wordtech-
software.com/dpgui.html>.

Bruno Voisin