[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Dec 7 16:40:13 CET 2005

>>GW> I have updated the TeX i-Package. I ran into trouble optimizing the
>> number
>>GW> of times formats and maps are created during the configure  phase. As
>>GW> result, it could be that after updating you end up with  outdated
>> formats
>>GW> and as a result a lot of things fail.
>
> I saw something strange during the setup of the font maps. In the list
> during the configuration dialog I saw both lm-qx.map and qx-lm.map.
> Similar
> for the other lm stuff.
>
> In my /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg I found indeed
> both. This could be due to a leftover from previous installations. I'll
> try
> deleting this file.
> In /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/updmap.cfg I found only the
> *-lm.map (like qx-lm.map) entries, but the filenames in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvips/lm are of the form
> lm-qx.map and therefore inconsistent with the .cfg file. So how should it
> be?

The naming of LM has changed so some tool (I do not know which) can handle
them better, something ConTeXt-related by Hans if I recall correctly.

texmf.tetex contains a teTeX 3.0 based texmf tree which is from before the
change (Jan 05, Thomas has not updated for a while). It also contains an
updated LM fonts because I did not want to make a separate LM in the trees
(space considerations mainly). So the texmf.tetex tree is internally
inconsistent. This is no big issue, though, because the i-Package checks
which form of map files are available and then enables them (either old
naming or new). updmap is also called with --syncwithtrees by the
i-Package, which should comment out all map files in updmap.cfg that are
not available, which would be the old name map files.

You end up with a updmap.cfg in texmf.local with activated new names and
deactivated old names. updmap does not offer an interface to completely
delete Map entries, only enable (which adds if nonexistent before) and
disable (which comments out).

This is messy, but mostly harmless. It is not harmless when gurus like
yourself go in expert mode and see the old (deactived) names. I am not at
my TeX work place right now so I cannot go into details why I have not
fixed this (either speed issue or it is config code that has to be
compatible with older (read 2003) versions of updmap. I agree that this
could be less ugly.