[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated, Easy Mac font support for PDFTeX

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Dec 7 09:53:28 CET 2005

> On Dec 6, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> In relation with the move to per-user configurations inside TeXLive
>> 2005, and the support nightmare this created for gwTeX
>
> Nightmare it was indeed for me, and with a deadline to send a work to
> the printing shop!
>
> Now I have in my bash profile file:
>
> alias updmap="updmap-sys"
> alias texconfig="texconfig-sys"
>
> because even after the initial mess, I have forgotten other times the
> -sys part in these commands.

I added a check yesterday in the configure phase of the TeX i-Package. If
any user on your system has a personal configuration, you will be warned
during configuration.

It might be doable to extend this under expert mode to include the
optional removal of the personal configuration of the installing user (not
others, that would be a nightmare or only after a very loud second
warning). To do this right, that would include removing any compiled
format for which there already exists one in texmf.local. However, that
would potentially harm expert users with personal compiled formats. So for
the time being, I stick to a warning.

PS. (TeX is a very complex i-Package. The configuration phase now is 70kB
(1651 lines) of perl code (and there is 2kB shared code between the
phases). Preparation is 12kB (252 lines). Selection is 19kB (425 lines),
remove is 7kB (187 lines). This is so much code that in my view the visual
inspection mechanism for security (see i-Installer help) has effectively
broken down, it is only still there in theory.)