[OS X TeX] Word to LaTeX

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:51:36 CET 2005

Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> I think, the problem is _not_ Word. The problem are the Word _users_.

I have a 600 page book written in Word < X, from the outliner on down,
master file, style sheets, etc, etc

Word X can't even display it properly.

So, I wasn't too surprised when nothing I tried, and I tried three or
four things, really worked. As I recall, the closest I came to something
usable was either Abiword or NeoOffice, which can save in LaTeX, but
neither was worth the time and effort. So, I gave up and went on to
other things.

The one thing I didn't try was to buy me a wintel box to run Chikrii's
$100 Word2Tex. But they claim wonders so if one already has a wintel
box, it may be worth checking it.

Not to say one shouldn't try but I think that it would depend on the
particular file. For instance, rtf2tex, I think it was, turned very
short tables into long tables so, perhaps, if one has no table …

Somewhere (Penn State?), there is a list of converters.

Regards
--schremmer

P. S. My good friend Bill asked me the other day to tell him if I could
recommend someone for Vice-President for Advertising. Should I let him know
how stout a supporter he has in you?  :-)