[OS X TeX] Word to LaTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sun Dec 4 14:22:50 CET 2005

Hi everybody,

in a thread on the Ars MacAchaia the question was raised whether how
you could use Word and LaTeX together, so that you would create your
documents in Word and then finally create a nice output for print in
LaTeX. After a bit of digging, I found wordml2latex <http://
www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/wordml2latex.html>
which does exactly this: It's a xsl stylesheet for converting Word
documents into LaTeX. Unfortunately, it depends on WordML, an XML
format introduced in Word03 (not to be confused with XML format
announced for Office12) which is *not* supported in Word04 for Mac.

After digging a bit more, I found out that OSX10.4 comes with a shell
app called textutil which converts between several formats, among
them .doc and WordML! Now, in theory, we have all we need for a
decent Word->LaTeX wordflow. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work
properly. I tried with an extremely simple Word document, but the
result wasn't usable. I don't know where the problem is, whether it
is textutil or wordml2latex but the translation doesn't work properly.

I would be very glad if someone more knowledgable looked into this,
if we make this thing work, it could be huge. I'm thinking of an
"import from Word" function in TeXShop!

cheers

simon