[OS X TeX] manually updating things installed by iInstaller or not?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Fri Dec 2 21:32:16 CET 2005

>DC> Hi,
>DC> I was just browsing on CTAN and noticed in the "news" section that  some
>DC> things I used, like the Memoir class, had been updated recently.

>DC> I downloaded it and compiled it in a folder on my desktop just to see  what
>DC> was inside. It does appear to be more recent than what I have in
>DC> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/memoir

>DC> I ran iInstaller again (full TeX package) but memoir did not change.

>DC> Is it a good idea to place the new copy I compiled today at the
>DC> appropriate locations in /usr/local/teTeX/ or is it better to wait
>DC> until iInstaller uses this version? Alternatively, is it a good idea
>DC> to install the new version in ~/Library/texmf instead? And if I do
>DC> this, should I remove the files in /usr/local/teTeX/ ?

There is no need to install newer versions unless you run into a bug in the
old version or you need one of the new features urgently.
~/Library/texmf is the place to use, or if you want it also for other users
on your machine /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local (with sudo texhash in
the latter case). But you should be aware that after an official update
with i-installer which contains the updated version you will have to remove
your installed files otherwise in the future your private version will be
used instead of yet newer versions. As this can be quite a hassle,
premature updating should be avoided.

--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>