[OS X TeX] documentclass undefined

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri Aug 26 22:32:38 CEST 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 4:07 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Aaron Jackson wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to get latex to always do the -progname=latex or
>>> should
>>> I just write a short shell script?
>>
>> You shouldn't have to do anything special to do this.  When you type
>> latex, pdfetex notices that it was evoked as "latex" and acts
>> accordingly.  However depending on the shell you use, you can set an
>> alias for latex to pdfetex -progname=latex
>
> So maybe his problem doesn't have anything to do with his tex
> installation. Maybe something is messing with the shell to prevent
> pdfetex from doing this. What I would suggest is creating a brand new
> user, and trying to run tex as that user, using the vanilla defaults
> for everything.

If you have the c compiler installed on your system you could try to
compile and run the following:

#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char **argv) {
     int i;

     printf("number of arguements %d\n", argc);
     for (i = 0; i < argc; i++)
         printf("arg %d value %s\n", i, argv[i]);
     exit(0);
}

Save it as argtest.c and compile it via

gcc -g -o argtest argtest.c

then run it as

./argtest ...

This will just echo the command line back to you.  If something is
getting messed up via the shell this *might* show it.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>