[OS X TeX] OT: Film wheel font

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Aug 24 12:43:56 CEST 2005

On 24.08.2005, at 12:10, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 24 août 05 à 11:47, Simon Spiegel a écrit :
>

>> Thanks, the Webdings font is already quite close. A related
>> question: What's the easiest way to get a single glyph of a font
>> into a LaTeX document? Of course with XeLaTeX I could easily
>> include the font, but I'm not sure yet if my final output will be
>> XeLaTeX. Now if possible, I want to avoid all the hassle of font
>> converting etc. just to get this one glyph.
>>

> Herb Schulz did similar work for including Mac OS symbols (such as
> the Apple key symbol) in TeX documents, so there should be a way.
> See his applekeys package <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2/.Public/
> applekeys.zip>.
>

>> What I want to do: I write my PhD in film studies. There are
>> screenshots, and I plan to create a CD that comes with the printed
>> text which includes short clip. The film wheel (or projector)
>> symbol is to indicate that a whole clip exist on the CD for the
>> screenshot printed. So I need this glyph in the caption.
>>
>> I thought I could avoid setting up another font by creating a
>> small PDF which just includes this one glyph. This is a bit of a
>> hack, and unfortunately, LaTeX doesn't seem happy about
>> \includegraphics inside \caption I get:
>> ! Argument of \Hy at tempa has an extra }.
>> <inserted text>
>>                 \par
>>
>> The PDF gets created the way I want, but I have the errors, and
>> scaling the PDF doesn't work at all.
>>

> It looks like you're using the hyperref package, and the error
> message relates to a version of \caption modified by this package.
> The hyperref package is very useful, but I've found extremely
> difficult to understand/debug/customize the code of its versions of
> standard LaTeX commands.
>
> That said, the above message might as well be caused by a lack of
> \protect'ion. Have you attempted to insert a \protect before the
> \includegraphics? I remember a time when many LaTeX commands (such
> as \ref) needed to be \protect'ed when put inside a \caption,
> though things have got much better.

Bruno, you're the best! \protect does indeed help and the applekeys
package was very illuminating. I now can easily include the font. Now
I just need a font that actually looks the way I want, the projector
font is bit too delicate for small sizes.

Thank you very much!

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>