[OS X TeX] blank page output with pdflatex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 23 20:10:12 CEST 2005

Am 23.08.2005 um 17:02 schrieb Johann Philipp:

> Also I have noticed, that the pdfs generated by pstopdf (Apple's tool)
> print with above limitations well, but those by the ps2pdf tool look
> fine in Preview, but printing gives a character mess on the paper
> (looks like the characters of each word have huge spaces between each
> other).

There is one thing that could likely produce this: when the fonts are
not 'downloaded', i.e. not contained *completely* in the PS or PDF
output files (dvips usually does a partial download, i.e. only those
glyphs that are used in the document are being copied into the output).
It's not easy to estimate how the soft RIPs might handle this ...

Again, since you are to learn LaTeX again: how did you setup teTeX in
the i-Installer or on the command line? Have you prepared for
Ghostscript a Fontmap.GS file that contains the font and the file
names? I did this every time to be sure that gs has no chance to fail.
Usually I create links from the real fonts (.pfa, .pfb and .afm too) to
Ghostscript's fonts directory and the document this in Fontmap.GS -- it
costs some time to look into the AFM files to get the PS name and
record this and the corresponding file name in Fontmap.GS.

> Hmmm, next time I'll buy a good postscript printer.

Splendid idea! (EPSON EPL-5800/5900 *without* L (i.e. heavy then):
these L ones have no PS either, the others have useless Ethernet cards
as an extra, and they're grateful for 128 or 256 MB PS/2 SIMM --
available at the museum?)

Or: *don't* use PS fonts, and no TrueType fonts too! Just use PK,
pixels, exactly what your printer understands.

You know DANTE e.V.? (http://www.dante.de/,