[OS X TeX] using Latexit

Charles Chapman Pugh pugh at math.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 22 01:26:53 CEST 2005

Hello.

I'm trying to use Latexit 1.4.0 with Tiger, Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3,
and/or Canvas 8, to make figure labels in Latex format. Latexit looks
like just what I need.  One feature of the labels that I want is that
they have an opaque white background.  This makes them easier to read
because they don't interact with the figure they label.   There are a
few issues.

1.  Latexit is listed in the Services submenus of both the drawing
programs, but when an expression such as \frac{df}{dx}  is typed onto
the art display area and highlighted, the Latexit service stays
grayed out and unusable.  Not crucial, but it would be nice to have
this type of interface.

2.  Direct drag and drop from Latexit to the drawing programs seems
to produce no result.  Nothing drops.

3.  When a label such as the above df/dx is typed and saved by
Latexit as a pdf file, Canvas gets stuck when asked to place it (no
response for indefinite time).  Canvas does agree to place the
corresponding eps file, after converting it to Canvas format.
Illustrator, on the other hand, will place the pdf file on its artboard.

4.  Both Canvas and Illustrator place the label object with a
transparent background.  I've tried creating the label with a colored
background in Latexit, and although the background display in Latexit
is colored, the color is lost when pasted into the drawing programs.
Likewise I can't seem to make the drawing programs add an opaque fill
to the object, so it blocks out the part of the figure under it.

Ideas?

Thanks,  Charles Pugh
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>