[OS X TeX] [OT] Fwd: Problem with Mathematica 5.2 on G5 Macintosh Systems

Louis A.Talman talmanl at mscd.edu
Wed Aug 17 05:51:29 CEST 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 6:11 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is off-topic, but may be a warning for some people on
> this list to *not* apply the latest G5 system Security Update.
>
> If you have already done so and are experiencing problems
> with some apps, then here's the reason.

This update may also cause trouble on G4's running Panther (10.3.9).

I installed the latest security update on a G4 running Panther about
five hours before this post arrived.  Thereafter, many Mac apps,
including Safari and Mail would not start.  BBEdit wouldn't start.
However, TeXShop, Mathematica v5.0 (or maybe v5.1--but definitely not
v5.2), and Geometer's Sketchpad ran fine.  I don't know whether this
was related to the update or not.  The machine was the one on my desk
at work, so I had one of the IT people look at it.  She ran Disk
Warrior, noted that it didn't fix the problem, threw up her hands, and
installed Tiger.  She immediately ran System Update and installed all
of the updates.  Don't know whether Apple had quit distributing the
latest security update or not, but everything seems to work fine now.

--Lou Talman
   Metropolitan State College of Denver

   <http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl>

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>