[OS X TeX] OT: PDF display problems

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Wed Aug 17 01:27:22 CEST 2005

Hi Bruno, all,
thanks for the comments.

On 15/08/2005, at 8:08 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
[...]
> BTW, the URL seems to be <ftp://ftp.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pub/
> christian/PDFproblems/>. It doesn't open in the Finder (using
> Connect to Server Cmd-K), only in Fetch; moreover, the presence of
> the OS X file .DS_Store in the directory confuses Fetch, so that
> the files inside the directory have to be downloaded one by one.
Sorry about the wrong ftp URL, guys! Mixed it up with our web address.

[...]

> The problem I experience is all spaces replaced by another
> character: sometimes "&", sometimes "(", etc. This is still
> happening now, and apparently randomly. Vanishes when you refresh
> the preview (or close the previewing window, then re-open it).
I experienced that at some stage too.

> I can't see what can be done, really. Maybe reporting to Apple, and
> hoping they consider it significant enough to finally fix it. But
> given the bug seems random, I'm feeling pessimistic.
Agreed... And indeed it is quite random. This morning I had problems
opening a PDF from the web, viewing it after downloading with Preview
and BibDesk was perfectly fine.

> My only clue would be that it seems the bug shows up when I'm doing
> things very fast: switching windows, entering a command, opening a
> file, etc. Maybe a bad interaction with Spotlight (running in the
> background every time output is produced), which would take over
> and interrupt the PDF previewing flow.
Yes, you might be right there. We're using my machine for numerical
modelling for our workgroup, so when a couple of models are run by
other users heavy processor load might also influence the PDF
previewing. Although with 8GB RAM this shouldn't worry too much. Will
have a look into that.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Heine
ph.d. student

         USIMS       |    University of Sydney
                     |    Institute of Marine Science
                     |    Sydney, Australia

P +61 2 9351 4257   •   F +61 2 9351 0184
http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/users/christian/
http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/about/people/pgrads/heine.html

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>