[OS X TeX] OT: PDF display problems

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Tue Aug 16 03:46:56 CEST 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 8:21 PM, Keith M. Chugg wrote:

>> Not an answer to your question, have you tried LaTeXIt to do this
>> sort of thing?
>> It's very handy, just drag and drop.
>>
>> http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php
>
> I have tried similar programs a few years ago, but I don't see any
> advantage to just using texshop.  I keep a latex document called
> eq_page.tex, which only has an equation on a blank page.  It is very
> easy to edit and then copy form the pdf viewer.  You can have all
> sorts of macros, etc, and have a bunch of tex source from previous
> equations after the \end{document}.  Most of the time that I need this
> service, I have already typed in the latex source, so it is just a
> matter of copy-n-paste between texshop windows...
>
> Are there any advantages to using latexit or similar (other than not
> needing that eq_page.tex file)?

Yes, there are a few advantages that come to mind.  First if you use
LaTeXIt, the pdf equations that it produces are already closely cropped
so it is a simple matter of drag and drop into any app that accepts
pdfs.  Second, if there is linkback support,  you can edit the pdf
equation and keep everything in sync (I've never used this so I cannot
comment how well it works, but theoretically it should be very handy).

However, the best feature to me is that I can type all of my equations
into LaTeXIt and then drag properly formatted LaTeX labels, references,
equation environments, ... into my TeXShop documents from the LaTeXIt
equation library as needed.   Which means that I can quickly scroll
through my equation library while seeing the resulting equation, which
makes putting large documents together much easier.  Of course this is
all a matter of preference.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>