[OS X TeX] Rotated Figures Again.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Aug 16 00:04:00 CEST 2005

Le 15 août 05 à 23:10, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 15.08.2005 um 21:59 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> Is there a way to have altpdftex (called when tex+ghostscript is
>> invoked) pass that option to ps2pdf13? I'd like to give this
>> person a solution to his problem.
>
> Yes, there is! At least in the version I am using. For me altpdf(la)
> tex is a symlink to simpdftex, version 2.18.
>
> The argument would be: ``--distiller "pdf2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/
> None"´´ -- but: the script then uses the string 'pdf2pdf13 -
> dAutoRotatePages=/None' as programme name, and so it fails.
>
> A workaround would be a little script with this contents:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None "$@"
>
> and passing this script's name as the argument for the --distiller
> option. Don't forget 'chmod 755 <script>'!

Thanks for the tip. I had been for the last hour or so reading
<file:///usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.51/doc/Ps2pdf.htm>, then
trying in TeXShop to add the option --distiller "ps2pdf -
dAutoRotatePages=/None" to the altpdflatex script, with no luck: I
was always getting

### ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None /tmp/altpdflatex.2377-1124141934/
testherb.ps /tmp/altpdflatex.2377-1124141934/testherb.pdf
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/altpdflatex: line
538: ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None: No such file or directory
### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.2377-1124141934/testherb.pdf ()

and I was all the more confused since "ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None
testherb.ps" does work from the command line.

This is exactly what you're explaining: the argument of the --
distiller option of altpdftex is interpreted as a command name, and
cannot be a composite such as "ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None".

I had been trying to use in Terminal, in bash:

     GS_OPTIONS="-dAutoRotatePages=/None"
     export GS_OPTIONS

but that seems to only affect the current Terminal window, not all
processes. I was considering modifying /usr/local/bin/ps2pdfwr
permanently, but your solution is much cleverer and much cleaner.

I'm wondering now: if the above lines

     GS_OPTIONS="-dAutoRotatePages=/None"
     export GS_OPTIONS

were added in ~/.profile, would they affect (after starting a new
session) all gs processes, including those launched from TeXShop via
the altpdftex script? I guess not, TexShop defines its own
environment variables for the subprocesses it launches, as in /
Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/altpdflatexc.bxx, isn't it?

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>