[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.4.0 released

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Aug 15 16:58:10 CEST 2005

Am 15.08.2005 um 15:49 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> A preamble I would suggest is like this:
>
>     \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>     \usepackage{color} % for color
>     \usepackage{amssymb} % for math symbols
>     \usepackage{amsmath} % for math constructs
>     \usepackage{fontspec} % for AAT/OT fonts
>     \usepackage{xunicode} % for Unicode accents
>     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}

This works indeed fine, included

	\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

Using the example Pierre gave the values that TeX writes into files are
the same, but now that I used gs to report the BoundingBox I see
differences -- and they're visible in TeXShop 1.40 too. The LaTeX
processed file has »toto« in the centre of the page, the XeLaTeX
processed page has the same string in the upper left corner and the
whole page seems to be used for this particle:

   TeX writes						gs bbox [big pt]       [TeX pt]
0.0pt(Depth)			 XeLaTeX	=>  59.3459 × 22.464  = 59.568 × 22.548
22.14287pt(Height)		   LaTeX	=>  59.2746 × 22.4467 = 59.497 × 22.531
22.86287pt(TotalHeight)
60.90016pt(Width)

A third opinion: pdfinfo tells `595 x 842 pts (A4)´ for XeLaTeX and
`60.6726 x 22.7775 pts' for LaTeX.

The difference is that XeLaTeX (xdv2pdf) uses Apple's Quartz PDFContext
to create the PDF output with all it's use of Apple Advanced Typography
(AAT) features.

Since there is no way to create (normal, un-extended) DVI output with
XeTeX, there seems to be no way to check out where the mistakes happen.
But as TeX and gs return very reasonable values that are quite close to
each others I don't think that this can make LaTeXiT fail. It is
obvious that Quartz PDFContext creates a *whole* page that LaTeXiT then
fails with magnifying it. (Could be there is some hidden setup to
create bbox sized PDF output ...)

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no sense in being precise when you don't
even know what you're talking about.
         -- John von Neumann

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>