[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.4.0 released

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Aug 15 15:49:44 CEST 2005

Le 15 août 05 à 14:19, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 15.08.2005 um 12:22 schrieb Pierre Chatelier:
>
>>> \usepackage{amssymb} %maths
>>> \usepackage{amsmath} %maths
>
> if you're using these AMS fonts in XeLaTeX you'll run into
> problems! The problem is simply this, that Xe(La)TeX works on
> Unicode (encoded) fonts. So we have a big problem here with these
> math fonts! There were a few tries to solve or to mitigate this,
> particularly with AMS, but I am not sure whether it worked out.

Hi Peter,

I don't think there's any problem with using the amsmath and amssymb
packages in XeLaTeX. XeTeX is now able to use PFB fonts, and in
particular the CM and AMS fonts.

The problem you're referring to, I think, is one that occurred when
attempting to use the AAT text fonts, as allowed by XeLaTeX, in
maths. This required additional code, such as:

\SetSymbolFont{operators}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{m}
{n}
\SetSymbolFont{operators}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{b}
{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathrm}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{m}
{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathbf}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{b}
{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathit}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{m}
{it}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathrm}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{b}
{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathit}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{\familydefault}{b}
{it}

which could cause problems. Will Robertson has AFAIR dealt with these
issues in the latest versions of the fontspec package, such that
there shouldn't be any problem. For example, he introduced a legacy
math fonts (CMR) to take the math accents from.

A preamble I would suggest is like this:

     \documentclass[10pt]{article}
     \usepackage{color} % for color
     \usepackage{amssymb} % for math symbols
     \usepackage{amsmath} % for math constructs
     \usepackage{fontspec} % for AAT/OT fonts
     \usepackage{xunicode} % for Unicode accents
     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}

With this preamble I XeLaTeX'ed the formula ax^2+bx+c=0 in LaTeXiT
with no error message (after replacing pdflatex with xelatex in the
appropriate pref). The only problem is the minuscule size of the
formula in LaTeXiT's window.

> [...]
>
> Bruno asked for information and ressources on Fourier and Utopia
> fonts for Mac OS X -- I'll try to use these in my math&text
> example ...

Not sure what you're referring to. But I'm doing so many things at
the same time now, I don't really remember what I have posted.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>