[OS X TeX] Re: Version control of documents in TeXShop

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Aug 12 05:23:35 CEST 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 20:01, Andrew Kurtz wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> I've used iTeXMac before, but have run into issues with it so I
> prefer TeXShop.  I downloaded the latest version and after a quick
> look did not see any version control support.

I use iTeXMac, but it doesn't have built-in support for versioning.
It does have support for hard-wrapping lines, which is necessary for
cvs/diff commands.

> worry about accidentally deleting something and not noticing it
> before I save (a backup will help with that).

I used cvs when writing my dissertation; it's incredibly helpful if
you accidentally delete something or discover six months later that
you were right the first time, or perhaps want an earlier version of
a figure.  In fact, I've been using it for everything over a few
pages in length, and I also keep my BibTeX databases in cvs.

I find CVL works well for me as a GUI, since it lets you view log
messages and easily see diffs with FileMerge.

> I could maintain manual versions, but I was hoping for a more
> automated way of doing it.  As I was writing this I had the idea of
> creating a folder action so when the file is saved a copy it placed
> somewhere else.  That would end up creating a lot of files, but it
> would maintain an accurate trail of changes and would be completely
> automated.  The idea of doing manual CVS (or Subversion) is also a
> good idea.

I tried that manual versioning thing for a while, but it's messy, to
say the least.  Using a versioning system will make your life easier
in the long run; it's a great way to make the computer do some work
for you.

-- Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>