[OS X TeX] Version control of documents in TeXShop

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Fri Aug 12 00:23:35 CEST 2005

Am 12.08.2005, 00:02 Uhr, schrieb Andrew Kurtz <andrew at kurtz.ws>:

> Is there any support in TeXShop for document version control?
I doubt that TeXShop has that functionality (otherwise Dick would have
bragged about it in the features list ;-)). The only "editor" I know of
that supports some kind of built-in version control system is CopyWrite,
which isn't designed for working for TeX files.
My advice would be to set up a repository on your system (preferably
subversion, not cvs) and have a working folder with your tex documents.
After each editing cycle all you need to do is fire up one line in
Terminal.app or use one of the GUI versions.
Personally, I would not benefit very much from TeXShop supporting CVS
because I am hooked on svn and I already have established my workflow. If
TeXShop were to get version control capabilities I'd vote for svn along
with cvs because it's growing more and more popular. But then again
there's the need for a repository unless you intend to create a new,
custom-made system especially for TeXShop (which would be proprietary and
therefore bad I guess).

Basically any kind of AppleScript could do the job as well, but then
again, I am not at all familiar with AppleScript (only Perl and PHP).

Stephan

ps: If there's any interest I could create an easy to understand tutorial
on how to set up a repository for version control using subverion and
getting the basic work done with it. Just to push it a little and drag
people away from CVS ;-)
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>