[OS X TeX] enumerate in TeXShop

Nestor Aguilera aguilera at ceride.gov.ar
Tue Aug 9 01:23:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

> I'm having trouble getting TeXShop to compile a document.  The
> document has several numbered sentences throughout the paper, that
> more or less run in sequence.  I was doing this using the
> covington.sty package, which works nicely, but now I'm submitting the
> paper for something and the editor wants me to do this by labeling
> each sentence using \label and then setting the counter by using enumi
> and the corresponding \ref.  The document will compile if I keep
> hitting ``return' each time I get an error message.  If I run LaTeX
> enough times, I get the desired result: all the right numbers with all
> the right sentences.  But is there any way to get it to compile more
> quickly?  (There are around 30 sentences, so I have to run LaTeX
> around 30 times to get it to come out right.)

Are you allowed to keep the value of the counter as in

    \newcounter{savectr}
    \newcommand{\savectr}[1]{\setcounter{savectr}{\value{#1}}}
    \newcommand{\backctr}[1]{\setcounter{#1}{\value{savectr}}}
    \begin{document}
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item\label{should:1}
    This is~\ref{should:1}
    \savectr{enumi}
    \end{enumerate}
    \begin{enumerate}
    \backctr{enumi}
    \item\label{should:2}
    This is~\ref{should:2}
    \savectr{enumi}
    \end{enumerate}

so that you have to compile it only twice to get the references right?

Cheers,

                                                  Nestor Aguilera

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>