[OS X TeX] Re: Lucida from OS 9 to OS X

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 20:15:58 CEST 2005

Le 5 août 05 à 10:57, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Regarding the Lucida fonts, there's the general tutorial at <http://
> homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html> and a
> number of past threads at the Mac OS X TeX list. A few years back,
> I think, Gary Gray has posted a message describing the conversion
> and installation process in detail, for the Textures Lucida fonts,
> though I cannot locate this message in the list archive.

After some search through my OS X TeX mailbox (pity that search in
Mail cannot accept several criteria, like "From contains Gary L.
Gray" + "Body contains Lucida" + "Body contains Installation"), I've
finally dug a message from 26 March 2002 by Gary Gray, dealing with
the installation of Lucida fonts. It's possible that since then Gary
has posted another updated message, but I've not had the time to look
more extensively.

The pasted message is below. Two precisions to add though:

- It's no longer strictly necessary to use CMacTeX to convert the
LWFN fonts to PFB format. You can simply use the command-line tool
t1unmac included in Gerben Wierda's distribution of TeX. The syntax
is a bit odd: for example, for LucidBri it would be something like
(to be typed in Terminal, after moving to the directory containing
the fonts)

     t1unmac -r LucidBri/rsrc lbr.pfb

The "-r .../rsrc" tells t1unmac to extract the corresponding font
resource from the resource fork of the file LucidBri.

- After installing the fonts at the appropriate places, you need to
update the map files. For this, type in sequence in Terminal (with a
return at the end of each line, and you'll be asked for an
administrator password):

     sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr.map
     sudo updmap --enable Map lumath.map
     sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-o.map
     sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-o.map

The updating process after each line may take some time (1 or 2
minutes, say, depending on hardware).

It would be nice if somebody someday would write a script doing all
of this automatically (copying all Lucid* fonts from the Classic font
folder to a temporary directory, converting them, renaming them,
putting them at the appropriate places, running updmap). A problem,
though, is that the Classic font folder has its name localized: in
the English OS it is, I think, /System Folder/Fonts/, and in French,
for example, /Dossier Système/Polices/. By localized here, I mean
that the actual directory name is localized, not as in OS X where the
names are always English and it is only the Finder which displays
them as localized, displaying for example /Library as /Bibliothèque
when the language is French.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>