[OS X TeX] Using Acrobat Distiller instead of pstopdf

Timothy Van Zandt tvz1 at zandtwerk.org
Fri Aug 5 17:23:08 CEST 2005

Hello! I don't participate much in this forum, but I enjoy browsing and
would like to give a huge THANKS to those behind I-Installer and
TeXShop, making Mac OS X the premier platform for using TeX, the way
NextStep/Openstep once was (sniff).

Now probably no one else cares about using Acro Distiller instead of
pstopdf or ps2pdf with TeXshop, or anyone who does care long ago figure
it out. But here I give a simple solution. (A year ago I tried briefly
to do this and even posted a few questions, but was unsuccessful.)

[Why do I want to use Acro Distiller? I want the tex-dvips-pstopdf route
because I still use a lot of eps files and pstricks stuff and am too
lazy to make all this compatible with pdflatex. I prefer Distiller
because it creates smaller files (often 40% smaller when selecting
compatibility with Acro 5.0) and embeds all fonts (whereas, for example,
  pstopdf does not embed Times-Roman, which can cause problems with the
euro glyph).]

The first thing is to create a command-line version of distiller. This
requires an AppleScript to invoke Distiller and a sh script to invoke
the AppleScript. For example, here is an AppleScript that takes one
argument, which is the name of the PostScript file, with full path and
".ps" extension.

------------
on run argv
	tell application "Acrobat Distiller 6.0.2"
		Distill sourcePath item 1 of argv
	end tell
end run
------------

It will just use the default Distiller settings. Other options can be
found at
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/acrobat/sdk/pdf/pdf_creation_apis_and_specs/DistillerAPIReference.pdf

Here is a simple sh command that invokes it (assuming that the
applescript is /tvz/bin/dodist.scpt), taking the same argument and
passing it to the AppleScript:

-------------
#! /bin/sh

osascript /tvz/bin/dist.scpt $1

I was too lazy to write my own "personal script" for TeXShop. So instead
I pretend with TeXShop that I am using ghostscript and I copy my sh
script to /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf13, which, for me at least, ends up
getting invoked by TeXShop. (This last part is clearly a hack and I'm
not sure it would always work.)

tim van zandt

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>