[OS X TeX] LaTeX Equation Editor, LaTeXiT and XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 5 15:39:44 CEST 2005

Le 5 août 05 à 15:10, Pierre Chatelier a écrit :

> I personnaly do not use xetex, so I did not test it with LaTeXiT.
> But it seems absolutely possible for me to add its support. I just
> have to now which is the good command line to run.
> What would be the equivalent of
>
>> pdflatex  -file-line-error -interaction nonstopmode

Apparently, simply this:

xelatex  -file-line-error -interaction nonstopmode

Once XeTeX is installed, here's what help yields:

legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ xetex --help
Usage: xetex [OPTION]... [TEXNAME[.tex]] [COMMANDS]
    or: xetex [OPTION]... \FIRST-LINE
    or: xetex [OPTION]... &FMT ARGS
   Run XeTeX on TEXNAME, usually creating TEXNAME.pdf.
   Any remaining COMMANDS are processed as XeTeX input, after TEXNAME
is read.
   If the first line of TEXNAME is %&FMT, and FMT is an existing .fmt
file,
   use it.  Else use `NAME.fmt', where NAME is the program invocation
name,
   most commonly `xetex'.

   Alternatively, if the first non-option argument begins with a
backslash,
   interpret all non-option arguments as a line of XeTeX input.

   Alternatively, if the first non-option argument begins with a &, the
   next word is taken as the FMT to read, overriding all else.  Any
   remaining arguments are processed as above.

   If no arguments or options are specified, prompt for input.

[-no]-file-line-error   disable/enable file:line:error style messages
-fmt=FMTNAME            use FMTNAME instead of program name or a %& line
-halt-on-error          stop processing at the first error
-ini                    be xeinitex, for dumping formats; this is
implicitly
                           true if the program name is `xeinitex'
-interaction=STRING     set interaction mode (STRING=batchmode/
nonstopmode/
                           scrollmode/errorstopmode)
-jobname=STRING         set the job name to STRING
-kpathsea-debug=NUMBER  set path searching debugging flags according to
                           the bits of NUMBER
[-no]-mktex=FMT         disable/enable mktexFMT generation (FMT=tex/tfm)
-mltex                  enable MLTeX extensions such as \charsubdef
-output-comment=STRING  use STRING for XDV file comment instead of date
-output-directory=DIR   use DIR as the directory to write files to
-no-pdf                 generate XDV (extended DVI) output rather
than PDF
[-no]-parse-first-line  disable/enable parsing of the first line of the
                           input file
-papersize=STRING       set PDF media size to STRING
-progname=STRING        set program (and fmt) name to STRING
-recorder               enable filename recorder
[-no]-shell-escape      disable/enable \write18{SHELL COMMAND}
-src-specials           insert source specials into the XDV file
-src-specials=WHERE     insert source specials in certain places of
                           the XDV file. WHERE is a comma-separated
value
                           list: cr display hbox math par parend vbox
-translate-file=TCXNAME (ignored)
-8bit                   (ignored)
-help                   display this help and exit
-version                output version information and exit

Actually XeTeX calls automatically (unless run with the option -no-
pdf), at the end of a run, an additional program xdv2pdf for which:

legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ xdv2pdf -h
usage: xdv2pdf [-m mag] [-p papersize[:landscape]] [-v] [-o pdfFile]
xdvFile
     papersize values: a0/a1/a2/a3/a4/a5/a6/a7/a8/a9/a10/b0/b1/b2/b3/
b4/b5/b6/b7/b8/b9/b10/c0/c1/c2/c3/c4/c5/c6/c7/c8/c9/c10/jb0/jb1/jb2/
jb3/jb4/jb5/jb6/jb7/jb8/jb9/jb10/letter/legal/tabloid/ledger/wd,ht
[in 'big' points or with explicit units]

listinfo/xetex>.

> However, I do not really understand the error :
>
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `osxfonts.sty' not found.
>>
> Is this related to the default preamble ? Perhaps xetex does not
> support the same packages as the ones I use by default. Maybe it
> would just work by changing the preamble ?

I suspect osxfonts.sty was the original name of the package known
presently as fontspec.sty <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/
xetex/latex/fontspec/>, but I'm not sure.

It's possible an elaborate preamble would need to be written, as Xe
(La)TeX allows to replace text fonts by OS X fonts seamlessly, but
there are some issues with math fonts (which LaTeXiT is probably more
prone to using), especially with regards to accents. Will Robertson,
the developer of the fontspec package (see below), has devoted a lot
of attention to this.

> One more thing : xetex seems not to be available neither in i-
> installer, nor on fink. How could I test it myself ?

XeTeX is either available as a .pkg package for Apple's Installer
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_download>, or as an i-Package for i-
Installer in the i-Directory "Jonathan Kew's i-Directory @ SIL"
<http://scripts.sil.org/pub/packages/iid/kew.iid>. See also <http://
scripts.sil.org/xetex/>.

Hope this helps,