[OS X TeX] Documents less legible with T1 font encoding

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 4 22:05:26 CEST 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Armin Goralczyk wrote:

> Hello
> Why is it that if I use T1 font encoding instead of OT1 documents
> are less legible in Preview.app, TeXniscope, and Adobe Acrobat
> unless enlarged? Printing is fine, so there is no real problem with
> the output, but it's not really comfortable if documents are not
> legible in full page preview, so I still use OT1 for preliminary
> work and T1 only for final output.
>
> Armin
> --
> Armin Goralczyk, Guttmannstr. 4, Appartment 2615, 76307 Karlsbad,
> Germany

Howdy,

If you are using the default CM fonts then using T1 encoding will
revert to the bitmapped EC fonts. You can correct that by downloading
the CMSuper i-installer package (assuming you're using Gerben
Wierda's gwTeX distribution). On the other hand, the Latin Modern
fonts are part of gwTeX already so adding the line

\usepackage{lmodern}

will do an even nicer job. The Latin Modern fonts are very nice Type1
replacements that allow the use of T1 fonts encoding.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>