[OS X TeX] makeidx error

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Apr 27 21:04:34 CEST 2005

I recently attempted to recompile a book that worked fine a year ago,
and got the following error while it attempts to load makeidx.sty:
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/makeidx.sty

! LaTeX Error: Command \printindex already defined.
                Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.43 ...command\printindex{\@input@{\jobname.ind}}

I get the same error with a new document that attempts to use
makeidx.sty

Thinking my TeX installation was corrupted somehow, I re-installed
(2004 stable) using the I-Installer.  Same error.  Anyone else getting
this?

--
John R. Vokey
Lethbridge, Alberta