[OS X TeX] Scientific Word / Scientific Assistant ?

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:55:08 CEST 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Josep M.Font wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A colleague of mine, a satisfied user of Scientific Word (on Windows
> machines), is going to move to a Mac-based university, and has asked
> me for advice about how to run TeX on Mac. He does not want to write
> TeX code, he wants something that essentially works like Scientific
> Word (not even like WinEdt), with its "what you see is more-or-less
> what you want" display ability.
>
> (As a matter of fact, he started by writing code on a Mac, but when he
> switched to a PC and started using Scientific Word, he says his
> productivity has increased a lot, to the point that he does not write
> drafts by hand any more, etc. He does not care for exactness between
> on screen and final product, but on efficiency in writing and
> producing tons of papers...)
>
> Does any of you have some experience with Scientific Assistant ? I
> Just know what is said on Gary's page (i.e., essentially nothing), and
> some real user tips would be highly appreciated.

Based on tis comment I've changed the description for LyX. It was
poorly worded as "GUI editor based on LaTeX. Requires LaTeX engine."
where is should have been "WYSIWYG editor based on LaTeX. Requires
LaTeX engine."

That link on the mac-tex table is to the newer version  (1.3.5 ) than
what is listed as available for the mac on www.lyx.org.

Joe

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>