[OS X TeX] Japanese and LaTeX

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 20 20:10:44 CEST 2005

I agree that it is probably the map file.

My notes on my 2005/02/27 installation of CJK, after my installation
using i-Installer of TeX (full install), using Olivier Delloye's
extremely helpful and detailed instructions on CJK, state:

Couldn't get cyberbit to work, even following [Olivier's] directions
exactly. Seemed not to find cyberbit.map, so I added one line

Map cyberbit.map

to updmap.cfg in web2c in texmf.local tree, did a "sudo updmap" then it
worked fine.

I looked at the instructions you used (which is actually seems to be an
edited version of a posting I made, just appending a few comments on
Chinese to Olivier's instructions). The person who posted it states to
use:

MixedMap cyberbit.map
^^^^^

I think this is incorrect (and there seem to be other errors, noted at
the bottom of the page). In the updmap.cfg file, it has these
instructions, which seems to suggest (to me at least) that you should
be using "Map" not "MixedMap":

# There are two possible entries: Map and MixedMap. Both have one
additional
# argument: the filename of the map file. MixedMap ("mixed" means that
# the font is available as bitmap and as outline) lines will not be used
# in the default map of dvips if dvipsPreferOutline is false.

But I'm not really an expert at all, so perhaps someone else can add
something here.

But do try "Map" instead of "MixedMap" and see if that works.

Best,

Roger

********************************

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222