[OS X TeX] Q: getting a layout optimized for screen reading?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Apr 20 10:49:31 CEST 2005

Am 20.04.2005 um 03:52 schrieb Michael McCracken:

> Hi, can anyone give me advice on generating a screen-optimized PDF of
> an article?

Polymorphism of files is still very seldom. It might work when you
create two different formats for pdf(la)tex. One sets the page size to
A4 or such, and the other sets it to some other format optimized for
use on a 4:3 screen. You can invoke pdf(la)tex with an option to use a
specified format: -fmt format, could be that TeX still understands to
search for a format foo when the TeX executable was renamed to foo,
then you wouldn't have to give the advice "-fmt format."

A problem would be the same file name for the PDF output.

The most easiest way is to rotate the document in TeXShop by 90° -- and
the screen too! I set TeXShop to display PDF files at 115% which allows
me to see the multitude of A4 based documents without vertical
scrolling -- I only have to make the TeXShop window bigger than its
initial size, as big as the screen's height, and position the text in
that window optimally. For letter formats I often have to delete the
tools palette. TeXShop then remembers for that document the viewport
and does not jump to the next or previous page's beginning as sh....
Adobe products and screen thieves do, so you can browse through the
whole document with left and right cursor keys.

--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>