[OS X TeX] Figures with labels in computer modern?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 00:41:34 CEST 2005

Le 20 avr. 05, à 00:12, Matthew Hills a écrit :

> I've been compositing figures in InDesign, with a combination of line
> drawings (from Freehand or Illustrator) and then generating labels in
> Equation Service.  The exported PDF looks fine when rendered on the
> screen (in TeXShop, apple's Preview, etc.), but I get substituted
> letters when printed from these programs.  (In contrast, I get the
> desired figure when printing from Acrobat Reader 7.0).
>
> Example at:
>
> 	http://tina.stanford.edu/~hills/TeX/Composite
>
> Any suggestions on what might be causing the problems?
> is it in apple's printing services, or somehow related to the printer,
> or am I doing something wrong in assembling the figure?

This sounds suspiciously like an encoding issue. In Adobe Reader, your
PDF file is said to include the CM fonts in "Type 1 (CID)" type and
"Identity-H" encoding. I'd never heard of this one! Have you tried
using instead the Latin Modern fonts in OpenType format installed by
the TeX i-Package in /Library/Fonts/Latin Modern/?

In any case, I seem to remember from previous posts here that
Illustrator (and probably other Adobe software as well) has problems
with the CM fonts due to their odd encoding. I don't remember whether
any solution was proposed.

HTH,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>