[OS X TeX] Problems customizing report.cls

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Sat Apr 16 22:52:11 CEST 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Daryl Basil Biberdorf wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> Sorry that I must chuckle about "after a few hours and
> several test documents". Kyrie eleison!

Well, that's the way it goes.  Documentation, by its very nature,
cannot be complete.  I just get obsessed trying to get things to
work...

> However, I express my appreciation at your sample usage of
> the titlesec package. Using it, I got chapter headings that I
> think will satisfy the thesis clerk. The only thing I notice
> is that I'm unable to shrink the distance between the first
> line of the chapter heading (the number in my case) and the
> top margin to smaller than 1 inch (2.5 cm). It bothers me that
> I can't seem to do anything about it, but it will not cause problems
> with the thesis clerk, I think.

This is controlled by the line

\titlespacing{\chapter}{0pt}{0pt}{30pt}[0pt]

Just change the 30pt to something smaller to get the chapter headings
closer to the body text.  If you set it to 0, the chapter headings will
have the same line spacing as the body text, i.e. single space under
normal conditions and double spaced if you use  double spacing.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>