[OS X TeX] Problems customizing report.cls

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 15 20:32:11 CEST 2005

On 15 apr 2005, at 20:23, Aaron Jackson wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Daryl Basil Biberdorf wrote:
>
>> I'm adapting report.cls to match thesis requirements
>> where I am.
>
> I'm going through the same thing.  However I suggest you use the
> titlesec package instead of messing around with the report class.
> There are very few reasons to mess around with the class files
> directly, there is usually a package available that makes the changes
> you need.

And for various reasons, I would suggest you leave the standard classes
alone altogether. Both the Memoir class and the KOMA classes are more
flexible. The documentation also assumes you want to change the
defaults, and shows you how to achieve certain effects.

One strong argument: Memoir allows you to specify three versions of a
section title: one for the main title, one for the page headings and
one for the table of contents. In the default classes (report, book)
the table of contents and the page headings are tied together, which
can be annoying.

Just my €0.02

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>