[OS X TeX] Center a "tabbing" environment

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 18:41:49 CEST 2005

Le 14 avr. 05, à 18:18, Herb Schulz a écrit :

> The strange thing is that it didn't seem to make any difference in
> positioning---at least with the example given---when I changed the
> \parbox
> width in the range 0cm--10cm!? I settled on 0cm to try to guarantee
> centering of the display. Will this always work?

It seems the specified width is of no influence at all, and only the
actual width of the tabbing environment is taken into account. From the
LaTeXbook p. 218, regarding \parbox{width}{text} and
\begin{minipage}{width} text \end{minipage}:

"The list-making environments listed in Section 6.6 and the tabular
environment may appear in "text" with the minipage environment, but not
with the \parbox command. (If "text" consists of only a tabbing
environment, then the width of the resulting box is the actual width of
the longest line rather than the "width" argument.)"

That said, I don't understand Gary's answer:

> Alas, even then, only the minipage will be centered. The material in
> the tabbed environment will still be left-justified in the minipage.

I thought this effect (centering of the tabbing environment as a whole)
was the one expected and looked for.

Bruno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>