[OS X TeX] plea for help with TeX bibliographic databases: the humanities, and unicode

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 13 22:26:13 CEST 2005

Dear Simon,

Thanks so very much for your help!  I looked at jurabib very carefully,
and I'm very impressed with all of the options. Unfortunately, after
spending some time on it, I can't seem to get it to work with unicode,
even the European characters. As I mentioned in a previous post, I
don't think it is a good investment to convert all my bibliographic
records to legacy LaTeX workaround encoding, such as \"a, since it
requires extra work, will not be compatible with other databases I
might use in the future, will create problems in constructing regex
perl searches and find/replace, etc.

So, is there some option that I'm missing? I got an error message
stating I should use "PrerenderUnicode–", but I wasn't sure how to use
it, and I could find no documentation on the internet, or in any of the
relevant packages.

But this does point to another possibility -- to keep the BibTeX
database in unicode, but if there is such a macro, to convert unicode
characters back to LaTeX equivalents for processing in jurabib, but I
have no idea where to look for that.

Thanks very much indeed,

Roger

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>