[OS X TeX] [Beginner] unicode support

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Apr 12 10:23:18 CEST 2005

On 11 Apr 2005, at 11:43 pm, Marek Stepanek wrote:

>> Since you're a beginner and obviously a Mac user: why don't you trying
>> something with an universal approach to languages and scripts that
>> indeed runs on Macs and Mac OS X? It's XeTeX, available as an
>> i-Package
>> to easily integrate into your teTeX installation. ....

> But I will give a try tomorrow to XeTeX. First surprise : i-Installer
> does
> not list XeTeX anywhere !!!

XeTeX is also available through i-Installer, but it's located in a
different directory (as it's not maintained by Gerben). Just select
"Jonathan Kew's i-Directory @ SIL" from the list in the left-hand pane,
and click "Use" or "Open in new window".

If you do try XeTeX, remember *NOT* to use packages such as
[utf8]{inputenc} and {ucs}, as it handles Unicode characters directly.
And as you're using LaTeX, you'll want to add the fontspec and xunicode
packages; links are on the XeTeX site <http://scripts.sil.org> (see
"Related Packages").

HTH,   JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>