[OS X TeX] [Newbie] Postscript header path for dvips?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 23:18:22 CEST 2005

Le 11 avr. 05, à 18:58, Jonas Wellendorf a écrit :

> To use tree-dvips I have to
> “place tree-dvips.pro in the postscript header path for dvips.”
>
> I located the file
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips
>
> But how do I place tree-dvips.pro in there?

Inside ~/Library/texmf/dvips/ should be enough (create this directory
in case it doesn't exist). Where dvips looks for PostScript prologs is
defined by the variable TEXPSHEADERS. The default setting for this
variable is defined in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, as:

	% PostScript headers and prologues (.pro); unfortunately, some programs
	% also use this for acessing font files (enc, type1, truetype)
	TEXPSHEADERS = .;$TEXMF/{dvips,fonts/{enc,type1,type3}}//

where $TEXMF is any of (by order of precedence):

	~/Library/texmf
	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local
	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex
	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex

It is superseded by the less stringent setting in
/Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf:

	TEXPSHEADERS =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/
{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//

In case you want to know exactly what TEXPSHEADERS is (you normally
shouldn't), you may try in Terminal:

	kpsewhich --expand-braces \$TEXPSHEADERS

Even more technical information is available in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.pdf. Generally,
for knowing where to put things, going into such level of detail isn't
necessary: just mimick the structure of
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/ inside ~/Library/texmf/.

But in any case, it's likely that the tree-dvips package (including the
prolog tree-dvips.pro) won't work easily: it seems to be quite old
(1994) and is classified on CTAN as a LaTeX 2.09 package
<ftp://ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex209/contrib/trees/tree-
dvips/>, hence prone to errors with the now standard LaTeX 2e.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>