[OS X TeX] [Newbie] Postscript header path for dvips?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Apr 11 23:15:20 CEST 2005

Am 11.04.2005 um 18:58 schrieb Jonas Wellendorf:

> To use tree-dvips I have to
> “place tree-dvips.pro in the postscript header path for dvips.”
>
> I located the file
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips

This is the dvips binary, a programme.

> But how do I place tree-dvips.pro in there?

You can't put anything into the programme file!

To check where to put files for a specific programme you can use
kpsewhich:

1.: kpsewhich --help | grep .pro$     =>  PostScript header: .pro

2.: kpsewhich -show-path="PostScript header" -progname=dvips | tr :
'\012' | grep '^!' | grep texmf.local
or
2.: kpsewhich -show-path=.pro -progname=dvips | tr : '\012' | grep '^!'
| grep texmf.local

to find the directory for a system-wide installation of the files, or
you invoke:

2.: kpsewhich -show-path="PostScript header" -progname=dvips | tr :
'\012' | grep -v '^!'
or
2.: kpsewhich -show-path=.pro -progname=dvips | tr : '\012' | grep -v
'^!'

for a personal installation. In either case a few too much places are
listed. Being sensible you can look for path names with /dvips and look
then what's there in:

	ls -l /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.*/dvips

 From this you can learn that it would be a good idea to create a new
directory, tree-dvips. If the number of files is not much different
from one, you can put it/them into a 'misc' directory. So, what's left,
are these two system-wide places:

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/dvips/misc
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/dvips/tree-dvips

After installation you have to run 'sudo texhash'!

A personal installation would go into

	~/Library/texmf/dvips/misc
	~/Library/texmf/dvips/tree-dvips

Putting the files into the texmf.local tree or into your private area
makes them survive an update of teTeX or its new installation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
(Douglas Adams)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>